Our strategic direction statements
Reading Quest’s vision is that every child who is potentially disadvantaged through early difficulties with reading can become a successful independent learner through mastery of basic literacy skills and enthusiasm for books and stories.
Reading Quest’s mission is to enable the provision of individual literacy-based teaching tailored to each child’s needs and to form a closer bridge between home and school.
Reading Quest Values
- Every child is welcomed equally onto the programme and given every opportunity to thrive as a learner.
- The welfare of each child is paramount.
- The child’s parents or carers are respected and valued as the child’s primary educators.
- Children are encouraged to perceive themselves as successful independent learners in school.
- Teaching is tailored to the needs and personal strengths of each individual learner. Each learner and his or her family are encouraged to become irresistibly engaged in the learning process and to take control of it.
- All Reading Quest tutors are specially trained. They are given sustained support through regular refresher training so that they can enjoy and achieve the highest possible standards in their teaching.
Reading Quest principles
- Early identification by their teachers of children, normally in their second year in school, who are experiencing problems engaging in class literacy teaching
- Rapid recovery. A short intensive course of lessons sustains maximum involvement on the part of children and their parents. Sharply accelerated progress is made in all aspects of literacy. Occasionally a second course of lessons is recommended.
- Parental involvement on a daily basis both at school and at home is strongly encouraged throughout the short course of lessons.
- Sustainability through offering a model for schools and parents/carers. After the course of lessons, children and their families continue to have access to resources, ideas and advice.